Sunday, May 02, 2021 – 17:49 | Last Updated: 02 05 2021 – 17:49
The Covid pandemic, which has shaken our daily life habits deeply for the last year and causes children and adults to spend hours in front of the computer more than ever before, increases the incidence of eye diseases. Eye Diseases Specialist Dr. Mürüvvet Ayten Tüzünalp made important warnings and suggestions that should not be neglected in terms of eye health in the period of complete closure.
Experts warn. In this period when we are closing in full, especially children staying in front of the computer for long hours increases the rate of eye diseases. Eye Diseases Specialist Dr. Mürüvvet Ayten Tüzünalp “Eye diseases have become quite widespread in this extraordinary process that was difficult for all of us. During the full shutdown period, we must pay more attention to our eyes than ever, as we will be in front of the computer for hours; otherwise it may cause permanent eye damage, ”he says. Dr. Mürüvvet Ayten Tüzünalp talked about eye diseases that became widespread in the pandemic; He made important warnings and suggestions that should not be neglected especially in terms of eye health during the complete closure period.
DRY EYE AND RED EYE
While looking at the screen, the number of blinks per minute decreases from 15-20 to 5-6. However, since our cornea is fed by our tears, the complaints of dry eye increase in both adults and children in the period when the screen use times increase so much. Dry eyes and redness are the main reasons for eye application. There is also an increase in allergic conjunctivitis findings due to the adhesion of allergen substances to our eyes and the inability to clean them due to dry eye. Since this situation, which occurs with itching and eye redness, can be confused with Covid findings, it may be necessary to request a PCR test from time to time.
There is an increase in stye complaints on the eyelid in infected eyes due to increased dry eye. Cystic styes caused an increase in patients requiring surgical intervention.
ASTIGMAT AND MYOPIC
Nowadays, when we focus intensively and carefully on computer, tablet and phone screens for a long time, there has been a significant increase in astigmatism and myopia, especially in children. On the other hand, it is necessary to rest the eyes every 20 minutes and be careful not to extend the time spent on the screen.
PAY ATTENTION TO THESE SUGGESTIONS IN FULL CLOSE!
1. Do not forget to blink your eyes while looking at the screen. Make sure to blink at least 15 times a minute.
2. Rest your eyes for 5 minutes in front of the screen every 20 minutes.
3. Use artificial tear supplements in necessary cases in consultation with the physician.
4. Make sure children do not look at the screen for at least 1.5 hours after their online education is over.
5. Use glasses instead of contact lenses whenever possible, as Covid can also be transmitted from the eye. Since wearing glasses with a mask is difficult, there is an increase in the use of contact lenses, so choose daily disposable lenses in this case.