Health Sciences University faculty member Allergy and Immunology Specialist Prof. Dr. İsmet Bulut said that because people with allergies sneeze and cough more often, the risk of infection is higher if they are carrying a virus:
“The thing that concerns us during the pandemic period and puts us in a risky situation is that patients with pollen allergy and allergic rhinitis carry the risk of sneezing without realizing that they are carrying the Covid-19 virus and spreading it in their environment. Since these patients normally experience continuous nasal discharge and nasal discharge, if the virus has not given any symptoms in them, that is, if it is asymptomatic, it may spread the disease more than those without allergic rhinitis. In addition, these patients should never sneeze into a mask after sneezing. If they don’t have a paper handkerchief they have to sneeze into their arms. If the mask is sneezed and they do not change it, the mask loses its protection as it gets moist.
CAN GO UP TO INTENSIVE CARE
In allergies, there are complaints such as nasal congestion, feeling of fullness in the nose, backward discharge from the nasal passage, sneezing, itching of the palate, throat and ears. However, in addition to these, patients should pay attention to the presence of sore throat, difficulty swallowing, intense weakness that did not exist before, back and chest pain, muscle and joint pain, sudden loss of smell and taste. In addition, shortness of breath, dry cough and fever are also common symptoms of Covid-19. If these symptoms are neglected, the condition of the patients may worsen and cause serious pictures that can lead to intensive care. “
MASK PROTECTS BOTH VIRUS AND POLEN
According to the news of Buse Özel from Hürriyet newspaper, a recent study by Munich Technical University in Germany points out that viruses may spread more in the spring months due to pollen. Evaluating the research, Turkish TORAKS Association Vice President and Chest Diseases Specialist Prof. Dr. Ali Fuat Kalyoncu is of the opinion that contamination of Covid-19 with pollen is difficult:
“The most common are allergic to grass pollen in Turkey. However, we have seen that the mask is also protective against allergies. This year, we think that allergies may be alleviated due to the use of masks. Pollen allergy is also less common in seaside areas, while it is more intense in inner regions. “
BEWARE OF ALLERGY
* Pollen is concentrated between 10.00 and 18.00 in the morning. During these hours, avoid activities such as outdoor sports and picnics.
* Pollen density decreases in the first few hours and evening hours after it rains.
* Do not go out unless it is necessary in dry and windy weather.
* Wear a hat (with a visor) and use glasses.
* When you enter the house, take a shower with plenty of water or wash your hair and face with plenty of water.
* Dry your laundry indoors during the pollen season.
* Air conditioning with pollen filter can be used at home and in the car.
* Close the windows while driving.
* If you are traveling on public transport, try to sit away from open windows or doors.